A Houston mother took social media on Monday to warn parents about the potential risks of fidget spinners after her daughter went through a surgery in order to remove a part of the fidget from her throat.
The three inch toy that twirls have gone so popular these days that they have been banned in few schools. The toy was actually aimed to help students with autism or attention disorders concentrate, but took over classrooms with a variety of students this spring.
Kelly Rose Joniec’s 10-year-old daughter fidget spinner would ultimately lead to "a pretty eventful Saturday."
"On the way home from a fun swim meet, I heard Britton make an odd retching noise in the back seat as I was driving," Joniec wrote in her post. "Looking back in the mirror, I saw her face turning red and drool pouring from her mouth."
Joniec’s looked panicked so, she pulled over her car immediately. Her daughter told her that she put part of the toy into her mouth "to clean it" and ended up swallowing it.
She took her daughter to a nearby urgent care, where the doctors could not tell whether the piece was in her airway or esophagus. Instead, an ambulance rushed them to Children’s Hospital in The Woodlands, north of Huston.
X-rays reports showed that the nickel-sized bushing was stuck in Britton’s esophagus, she required surgery "to endoscopically locate and remove the object," Joniec said.
"Fortunately, we had a positive outcome, but it was pretty scary there for a while," she said.
She offered some words of advice for parents: "Not all spinners come with age-appropriate warnings. The bushings pop out easily, so ... keep in mind that these present a potential choking hazard."
As of Tuesday evening, Joniec’s Facebook post had received 24,000 comments and has been shared more than 260,000 times.